Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Pretend Gourmet Cooking: White Chicken Chili Soup

I am not much of a cook. It's not that I dislike cooking per say, it more has to do with the fact that I dislike creating/cleaning up a big mess in the kitchen and committing the time to make a really good meal. Plus, when I do commit to trying a recipe, afterwards I find myself with a ton of random ingredients that I probably won't use again (or won't use before they go bad). And, I also get this weird anxiety about using too many cooking utensils - the fewer pots, pans, spoons, bowls, etc. that I have to use the better - so when a recipe has too many steps I instantly get anxiety about all the things I will need to make the dish.

That's why, when I come across a simple and delicious recipe it's like a godsend. I cam across this recipe for White Chicken Chili Soup and let me tell you it was one of the easiest/most delicious things I have ever made. I love it because it only requires 5 ingredients - all of which you completely use up while making the dish - and it only requires one thing to cook it in, a crockpot!

(This soup was so fresh and light! It was a nice change on so many soups that can be too heavy.)

I discovered after returning from the grocery store that I actually didn't have cumin so I substituted it with chili powder which I think tasted just as good. I topped my soup with some fresh avocado (my favorite!), cilantro, green onions, shredded white cheddar cheese and a few tortilla chips.

The recipe made enough for me to enjoy the soup for lunch or dinner for the better part of a week and about halfway through the week I had the ingenious idea of adding some cooked white rice to the soup which made it a little more filling.

The one thing I will say is make sure you have a big enough crockpot. My roommate's crockpot is a little on the small size and it was literally filled to the brim by the time I added all of the ingredients which made it difficult to stir.

I'm hoping to find a few more recipes that require minimal ingredients and just one pot or pan to cook in!

No comments:

Post a Comment