Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Galentine's Weekend

Sometimes usually spontaneous weekends are the best. Midweek last week, Alyse and I both texted each other at the same time to see what the other was up to for the upcoming long weekend. A few texts later and we had a weekend trip in Boston planned!

Alyse arrived late Saturday morning. She was just in time for brunch before Boston's 4th blizzard started, so the two of us plus Karl and Kevin headed over to Lulu's.

I know I've mentioned Lulu's before on here, but it's definitely one of my favorite spots especially in Allston. I mean how could you say no to this menu? Plus its a literal 8 minute walk from my apartment and has a really great vibe and beers on tap. I had so much trouble deciding what to order (a problem I often run into at brunch) but ended up picking the Hipster Eggs Benedict. Karl had the S'mores Pancakes, Alyse the White Trash Hash and Kevin the Breakfast Sandwich plus a bucket of mimosas for the table. I loved the way they served the mimosas - a bucket with champagne on ice and three small glasses of juice, orange, mango, and grapefruit, so you could mix and match and create your own drink.

(Photo courtesy of Kevin)

Delicious

After breakfast we headed back to my apartment for a few more mimosas where Eric and Laurissa joined us and later Glines.

A few hours, several drinks and a bowl of guacamole later, we decided to go ice skating. The blizzard had already started but we piled into Kevin's car and headed over to the ice rink. Growing up, I figure skated competitively for a while but having stopped for so many years I'm no where near as good as I once was. But that doesn't stop me from still trying to do jumps and spins but usually results in bruises.

(The whole gang)

#Galentines


After about an hour of skating and some delicious pizza, we decided to brave the blizzard and headed over to Common Ground in Allston for Millennium Night - yup, all those classics from the early '00s were being blast.

Sunday morning we all woke up to a raging blizzard outside. Without the possibility of going anywhere, Alyse graciously made us all a delicious brunch which made being snowed in actually pretty great. Pink, chocolate chip pancakes, coffee, eggs, bacon, sausage, and, of course, more mimosas.

(Homemade brunch + princess plates + recurring heart straws + snowstorms = Happy Sunday!)

The boys were finally able to make it home later Sunday afternoon when the snow let up a bit and we spent several hours in a state of complete laziness. Sunday evening we finally decided to bundle up and brave the cold so we could go to the grocery to purchase ingredients to make a homemade dinner.

God do I love food. I also love cooking with people and it was really fun for each of us to cook apart of the meal to share. I made fresh bruschetta (recipe hereand sautéed asparagus in balsamic. Laurissa made some delicious meatballs, Eric made a great (although a little spicy) homemade pasta sauce and Alyse ended it all with giant chocolate chip cookies and ice cream. We uncorked a bottle of red wine and actually ate around the table for the like the second time ever. The Bachelor, my not-so-secret guilty pleasure was playing in the background too which I think added to the mood. Ha.



Monday was perhaps our most spontaneous day yet. After waking up to a delicious breakfast prepared by Alyse while I was asleep we decided to try our hand at cross country skiing. Weston Ski Track is a quick 15 minute drive and it was a really fun afternoon. More on that here.

(Out on the trails)


No comments:

Post a Comment