Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Recent Reads: Unaccustomed Earth

So... I actually didn't really like this book. I received this book as part of book club holiday book swap. (I swapped The Art of Racing in the Rain which is an unexpectedly amazing read and a real tear jerker.)

I didn't dislike reading the Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri - it was well written and enjoyable to get through. But I guess I found it lacking a real plot line. The book tells eight different stories of Bengali families. I kept expecting the plot lines to intersect and for the reader to suddenly realize that all of the stories were connected but it didn't and left me feeling slightly disappointed. I also expected the author to revisit each of the stories later on in the book to give some closure to the tale but she didn't.

(Starting the book in Logan Airport on my flight home for Christmas... that gives you an idea of how long it took me to get through.)

Maybe I missed the point to this book? Maybe it just went over my head? As I got towards the end of the book and realized there wasn't going to be any grand revelation, I frankly just wanted it to end and found myself rushing through the last few pages just to be done with it.

At least I finished it?

No comments:

Post a Comment