Saturday, February 21, 2015

Rowing Life Lessons: #1 People Matter Most

Rowing has taught me so much. From the obvious of how to steer a boat and the nuances of the stroke, to the less obvious lessons that I talked about here. But some of the lessons have gone even further than that and have truly shaped me as a person.

(4 whole years)

One of those lessons is that people matter most. Sometimes, when I look back at my collegiate rowing career I think to myself Why did I do that for so long? That was miserable. And there were moments of it that truly were: early mornings; long, cold hours spent on the water; missing out on tailgates and Friday nights at the bar; the criticism and scrutiny; the stress of always needing to the best; the personality clashes and screaming matches; the tears and disappointment - none of it seems very fun.


But that's rarely what I think of when I think back on those practices and races. 99% of the time what comes to my mind when I think back on those practices and races are the people who were there with me.

(Airplanes make the list of best memories)

Even when I first joined my high school's rowing team I didn't do it because I was particularly interested in rowing, I did it because all of my friends were on the team and had peer pressured me into attending the tryouts. While I did quickly grow to like the sport, what I most enjoyed that first season was spending time after school with my friends, riding in vans to races together, and of course, the fun late nights in the cabins at Midwest.

In college as a freshman I joined the sport as a way to make friends on MSU's campus of 45,000. And quickly, I found a group of people that I became inseparable with throughout my four years at State and even afterwards. M Club and my 404 Ladies are some of the people I can count on most, and even my band of bros and goons are there for me when I need them.

(Not sure I can every accurately describe all of the emotions I went through right before this picture.)

When I think back on my favorite practices or races, they rarely have to do with how well we rowed or where we finished. They have to do with who was in the boat with me, who was my stern pair, what coach was out there with us, the van rides to the course, the weigh-ins before the race, the houses we stayed in, the skits at spring break, novice fun night, the post-race parties and the post-party mornings.

Since then, I have struggled to find a group of friends quite like my rowing friends. Maybe it's because I don't share the same smelly van rides and 4 a.m. stops at Waffle House like I did with the boys. Or maybe it's because I haven't lived with 11 of my best friends like I did at 404. But what it's taught me, that the people you're with are what make the experiences count. Surrounding yourself with people who can make you laugh or stop your tears when you need them is what counts.


To quote the ever-wise Drake: I live for the nights that I can't remember, with the people that I won't forget. I don't care how cheesy of a rap lyric that is. The exact moments may have become fuzzy because of the alcohol over the years, but I will never forget the people I was there with.

So the lesson here is that it's the people who matter most. It's the people who make the experiences worthwhile and unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment