Friday, January 23, 2015

Recent Reads: The Red Rose Crew

My sister gave me The Red Rose Crew by Daniel J. Boyne for Christmas and I just finished. I've been going back and forth trying to decide which book I like better, this one or The Boys In the Boat and I seriously can't pick.



The Red Rose Crew tells the story of the 1975 US Women's 8+ that went on to win silver at the 1975 World Championship. The crew was coached by legendary Harvard men's coach Harry Parker. Like the story of The Boys In the Boat, the nine women who went on to compete had to overcome many challenges to get to the starting line. But unlike the boys at the 1936 Olympic Games, the challenges these women faced stemmed from sexism, gender inequality and the challenges of forging a path where no woman had set foot before. The girls efforts to compete were challenged in every aspect - from being allowed to use the locker rooms at boat clubs and even being allowed on the river to having equipment that fit them and appropriate uniforms.

The other part of this book that I loved was the fact that a large part of it took place on the Charles River here in Boston. It was fun reading about the things that I see everyday - the Citgo sign, the Weeks Bridge turn, the Basin, even spending time in Harvard Square.

This book is definitely not just for the rowing world but anyone who is interested in history, the feminist movement, or just a generally great sports book.

No comments:

Post a Comment