Saturday, February 21, 2015

Cross Country Skiing

As I mentioned before, we decided to end our long Galentine's Weekend with a spontaneous day trip to Weston's Ski Track just 15 minutes outside of Boston. I have never been on any sort of skis before and was a little nervous that I would just be doing the splits the entire time. But after a few small falls in the beginning, I sort of got the hang of it.

(Such a winter wonderland)

XC Skiing is an awesome work out. Just like pretty much everything I do, I tried to compare the activity and the motion to rowing and I think it had some definite similarities. The majority of the motion comes from your legs, but you're also engaging a lot of other muscle groups such as your abs, back, butt, and even arms for stability, support, and balance.

(Can you guess who's skis are who's?)

Some things I learned: there are two different types of skis: classic and skate skis. Classic skis involves more of a pushing forward on your toe/lunge motion while skate skis involve a more side to side motion off the side of your foot. The boys opted for the skate skis but the girls and myself went with the classic. The woman at the desk suggested the classic for first timers/beginners, but after giving it some thought I think I may have enjoyed the skate skis better since I'm more used to the side to side motion from my figure skating background.

Within the first few moments on the skis I posed a potentially stupid question: was it supposed to be more arms or legs? I found myself often times neglecting my legs and more or less pulling myself along with the use of the poles and my arms.

(Taking a little break in a snow pile)

The weather was in the single digits but we were all sweating beneath our layers from the amount of energy we were exerting. I really enjoyed XC skiing but definitely need a lot more practice!

A few hours later and we were all sufficiently exhausted and starving. So we headed over to a nearby place called The Local for some dinner. Wow did I want everything on this menu! We got an order of fried pickles and wings for the table and then Alyse and I shared a flatbread pizza and mac and cheese. Totally hit the spot after a day skiing out in the cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment