Sunday, June 1, 2014

Recent Reads: Gone Girl

This book. Oh my god, this book.



I had watched the previews for the movie and read some of the reviews before starting in on Gone Girl and I was still shocked. Like shocked right up until the last page kind of shocked.

The premise of the book is that Nick Dunne is the prime suspect in his wife Amy's disappearance. But the plot quickly becomes more convoluted and twisted with every chapter. Something I thought was crazy was how quickly and dramatically my feelings changed for each of the main characters as the book progressed.

There have been a lot of mixed feelings on the ending of the book. I, myself, have mixed feelings on it. Without giving anything away, I felt like the ending was almost too weird - like too forced. The author, Gillian Flynn, did such a wonderful job developing the plot and the characters of Amy and Nick that I felt she sold herself short with the ending. On the other hand, when reflecting back on it, I also feel it was the only suitable ending for both characters.

One other outstanding question/thought I had from the book was the character of Nick's father. Quite a bit of time is spent on Nick's relationship with his father and he pops up at odd times through out the story. However, I almost felt as though he was a little unnecessary since his random appearances and seemingly senile outbursts do not seem to add anything substantial to the plot.

Despite these small issues, I would definitely recommend this book. It is an easy, summer read. It is also not scary (I had to assure Jess of this because she was nervous to start it) just very twisted, but never scary.

Make sure to check out the trailer of Gone Girl below:


No comments:

Post a Comment