Sunday, May 31, 2015

Falling in Love with Chicago

It's been about two and a half months since I moved to Chicago and I finally feel like in the past few weeks the warmer temperatures have allowed me to explore some of the city I'm now calling home.

I love Memorial Day Weekend because it signals the unofficial start of summer and summer is hands down my favorite season, I mean there are so many great things to enjoy - who couldn't love summer?

I've been trying to get into the habit of becoming a more consistent runner. I mean, I am signed up for a Warrior Dash and the BIG10 10K so I guess I have to. But learning more about my neighborhood is also great motivation to get out and run a couple of mornings a week.

(And who doesn't love to see the sunrise over Lake Michigan?)

(View behind the Lincoln Park Conservatory)

(Lydia had told me about this lily pond/prairie pagoda and I made it a mission one morning to find it. So serene in the middle of the city.)

On my way home from work last weekend I decided to take a bit of a scenic route and strolled down Michigan Ave. before catching the bus. My office is in such a great location, right in the heart of so much great shopping, food and tourist traps. There was an old church that has always caught my eye on my bus ride to and from work and the weather allowed for the perfect opportunity for some exploring of it. I love that this old architecture is mixed right in with Chicago's skyscrapers.


(Can you see the little bird drinking from the fountain?)



I spent sometime meandering through Lincoln Park as well. I always knew that Lincoln Park was a gem in Chicago but didn't know much about it overall. But after doing some reading on it (#historynerd) I was so eager to see it all. You could spend a day exploring Lincoln Park and I'm not sure you would see it all. There's a zoo, a petting zoo, several ponds, beaches, restaurants, the conservatory and plenty of open green spaces and gardens just to name a few things. Plus, the views of the city were stunning.





Sunday, I talked Lydia into joining me on a trip to the Lincoln Park Conservatory. The conservatory, like everything else in Lincoln Park, is free and features four rooms of stunning exotic plants. I wish I had taken a few more pictures while we were there but I guess it means I'll just have to go back!


We explored a bit more of the park and watched what I'm sure will be stunning wedding photos be taken. As we started to walk back towards my apartment we felt the first drop of rain which very quickly turned into a torrential downpour. Lydia had the great idea to hide under the prairie pagoda I mentioned earlier to wait out the storm.

Unfortunately, the roof of the pagoda was not solid and we ended up trying to position ourselves between the slats to avoid the sheets of rain falling outside. Eventually, we gave up and made a mad dash to La Fournette Bakery & Cafe for some tea and macaroons.


So excited for more summer in Chicago adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment