Sunday, August 17, 2014

Summering on the Cod (aka the Cape)

The ocean is my happy place. And a long weekend on the beach was exactly what I needed.

The four of us (Marissa, Jess, Alyse and myself) departed Boston Friday afternoon on the Cape Flyer - a train that runs from South Station in Boston to Hyannis. I highly recommend taking the train because not only do you avoid all of the traffic, you can drink on the train!

(Prosecco for the train ride.)

(And chocolate!)

We arrived in Hyannis a little before 8 p.m. on Friday and checked into our hotel which was perfect. The Cape Cod Harbor House Inn is fantastic. It had a nice beachy feel to it and a little kitchenette. After we had unpacked a little and changed (semi-unintentionally) into matching outfits we went to meet Jess' friend at Torino's, a bar and restaurant in downtown Hyannis, where we kicked off our beach weekend with some pinot and apps outside on the patio.

(Casually matching)

Saturday we started our day with our hotel's complimentary breakfast on the patio overlooking the harbor. Talk about how I would like to start my day everyday - coffee with a view!

We decided to rent bikes for the day so we could get around a little easier. And after biking around town for a while we were all starving and decided to check out the place right across the street from our hotel that Alyse's boss had recommended - Spanky's Clam Shack. I had a lobster roll which was phenomenal and so packed with lobster meat it was impossible to eat as a sandwich! Plus, I of course didn't finish my meal so we decided to save the lobster meat to add to mac n cheese later. We were also adventurous and tried oysters and I did not freak out this time!

(So good!)

Incredibly full of seafood, it was time to hit the beach. A short bike ride later and we were soaking up the sun at Kalmus Beach. The water was a little too cold for swimming but it felt nice to have that salty air on my face again. A nap and a couple of margaritas later and we were all feeling incredibly relaxed.

(I swear I was having fun.)

(My jellyfish friend.)

(Lol if you thought we wouldn't match.)

(MSU girls take on the Cape.)



We decided to get creative with dinner Saturday night. Instead of going out, we decided to take advantage of our kitchenette and patio's view of the harbor and put together a little picnic. Our picnic consisted of cheese, crackers, grapes, apples, "homemade" lobster mac, chocolate, carrots, hummus, and wine. Such a simple but awesome meal.

After our picnic and some ice cream we headed back downtown and wound up at the British Beer Company with quite the mix of people. We started telling people it was my bachelorette party (which people terrifyingly enough believed) and shut down the bar with our own rendition of piano man.

And for sake of this blog, I'm going to pretend our night ended there but please enjoy these lovely pictures of me and Alyse.



Sunday morning we spent shopping around downtown. Mixed in with the standard touristy surf shops there were some pretty good finds!

Starving once again, we went to the little restaurant next to our hotel called the Black Cat Tavern to order some fried shrimp and clam chowder. The clam chowder was some of the best I've ever had and totally hit the spot - and I ate the whole thing!

(Amazing.)

We then headed to the Veteran's Memorial Beach which was a bit closer to our hotel and, personally, I think it was the better of the two beaches we visited it. While smaller, it was less busy and the water wasn't filled with seaweed. My only complaint, for both beaches, is there weren't enough big waves. I love body surfing and getting tossed around in the water.

(Ready to go back!)

Unfortunately, our time in Hyannis was coming to close and after another ice cream stop we boarded the train back to South Station.

I wish this weekend could have lasted longer. The weather was great. The food was delicious. The hotel was perfect. The beach was relaxing. And the people I spent it with were by far the best.

(Sunset on the train ride home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment